Reminder: Registration Requirements under the Military Selective Service Act
The Department, U.S. Selective Service System, and U.S. Department of Education would like school systems to remind students of the registration requirements under the Military Selective Service Act, 50U.S.C. §§ 3801-3820.
Males are required to register beginning 30 days prior to their 18th birthday and extending 30 days thereafter. Late registration is accepted up to the 26th birthday. Failure to register prior to reaching age 26 may result in unfortunate life consequences, including:
● ineligibility for employment by the federal government, U.S. Postal Service, and many state and
● ineligibility to receive federal and, in some cases, state student financial aid;
● ineligibility to receive job training under the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act;
● ineligibility for security clearances; and
● delay in citizenship proceedings.
Registration can be completed online, or by completing a hard copy of the Selective Service System registration form available at any U.S. Post Office, or available for downloading from the Selective Service System website. Additional registration details and resources are available. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org